Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The first week

So I'm going on my second week of class at the College of St. Scholastica. I don't completly know how to go about making the blog for Media Literacy but here it goes.

For the first blog I want to go over a few things.

First day of class we went over the fact that Media is a plural word. We should say it as "the media are everywhere" as opposed to "the media is everywhere." I think it's safe to say this is a hard concept for people to comprehend, however I think it's important. There are many types of media, therefore it becomes a plural word. We have the newspaper, television, radio, and internet. We can go farther to say that gossip, teachings, and everyday events are media. If it puts forth information or ideals, it becomes media. This is an important concept to understand.

Now over the last few days a few quotes were made. This includes:

"Its not my job to come up here and tell you the truth." and
"Not everything I say will automatically ring the truth."

This is important to remember. While a lot will be said in class, its up to us to make sense of it and really comprehend what it means to us. Somethings will have meaning to soem classmates while to others it will make no sense at all and they will gain nothing from it. Let's look at the digital banana for instance. It's the idea that we can carbon copy food and other necessities of life. Now to me this doesn't mean  a whole lot. It would drastically change life and therefore would be in the news and become apart of our media. I don't know if thats what im supposed to get from it but I did. Others might get something else from it.

We will see how the rest of the class goes and what more I get from it. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment